Tuesday, April 9, 2019

A Tale of Two Quilt Tops and a Repair

As I was browsing some antiques last week, 
I found a few exciting treasures to bring home. 
The first one is a top that I will quilt.  
It has fabrics in it that remind me of some of the kits I have seen from the 1970s 
but also some quite older fabrics.  
It makes me think someone was trying to make a quilt with some found blocks
 and had to add some current fabrics to finish it up.  
I will be the one to finish it as a complete quilt.
This next one is also a top in need of quilting.  
It is cross stitch on preprinted blocks.
It also has the quilting lines preprinted on it. 
 If I had not just seen one of my quilty friends working on something similar, 
it would not have occurred to me to grab this one. 
I think it will make a sweet little quilt when done.
The last of the three I have featured on my 365 day blog.  
It is a complete quilt with the exception of the quite large and noticeable hole in it.
The damage is really mostly in the background fabric.
I figure I will need to sew five or six curved seams 
to replace the pieces that are damaged, 
sew the top back together, 
Frankenstein piece some batting, 
appliqué a new chunk of backing on it 
and add some hand quilting to match what is there. 
Good as done.

Wishing you things to be excited about,

Sharon






2 comments:

  1. The preprinted quilt with embroidery reminds me of my grandmother who made a tablecloth for each of us using this method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what special finds Sharon. I am sure your repair work will go well on the third quilt, making it quite beautiful again. And I'm looking forward to seeing the other two quilted as wellxxx

    ReplyDelete